The RIDES Project offers research and practical tools that support the ABCDs of reimagining integration: strong academics, a sense of belonging, a commitment to dismantling racism, and an appreciation of diversity.
RIDES works in partnership with schools, districts, and charter management organizations that are already racially and economically diverse and are trying to become more fully integrated. We believe this means creating positive academic and social experiences for all students. Our approach to this work is:
- “Inside-out”—driven by diverse stakeholders inside the schools, not done to them by outsiders.
- Customizable—tools and processes can be modified to best meet local needs.
- Developmental—the RIDES approach meets schools and organizations where they are and provides diagnostic tools as well as guidance in moving to the next level.
- Practice and research-based—the suggestions for interventions draw on established practices, and supported by research.
- Flexible—designed with multiple entry points for schools, districts, and charter management organizations.
- Systemic—classroom practices are seen as rooted in school and district policies and culture; approaches to dismantling racism and oppression are done at individual, interpersonal, institutional and larger system levels.